Bread...it has to be my favorite item to fashion in the kitchen, bar none. It appeals to all the senses. You have to kneed the dough/feel the texture, watch the dough rise, smell the bread baking, taste the bread once it has cooled, and hear the praise of those around you for the marvelous loaf. I love bread!
Making sandwich bread at home can be a bit of a task. We don't like it dry and crumbling which makes for rotten sandwiches. Nothing worse than your sandwich falling apart before you can even take a bite!
Making sandwich bread at home can be a bit of a task. We don't like it dry and crumbling which makes for rotten sandwiches. Nothing worse than your sandwich falling apart before you can even take a bite!
The below spelt bread was made from the recipe at Rebecca Wood's site (see sidebar). I used less yeast than she called for because we use instant yeast instead of dry active which makes for a fast rise. As I have been reading in Peter Reinhart's The Bread Baker's Apprentice the slower the rise or fermentation the better the taste. This bread tastes pretty darn good as it is and makes a soft, yet tight crumb. I typically double the recipe and creat 4 loaves that last our family about 1 1/2 weeks.
No comments:
Post a Comment